Monthly Archives: June 2014

Bantry Town Council abolished

On the stroke of midnight on 31 May 2014 Bantry Town Council, like so many others, was abolished.  From its beginning in the town in August 1896 the elected Body in Bantry was known as Bantry Town Commissioners.  In January 2002 the name changed to Bantry Town Council.  This was because nationally former Town Commissioners and Urban District Councils were to be called Town Councils.  So the elected Body in Bantry was called Bantry Town Council – but today it is gone !! – just like its neighbours Skibbereen, Clonakilty, Bandon, Passage West , etc